People always want to know what is in the food that they are buying. The ingredients and nutrition value that the food holds is very important. Thus, food that are close to their natural state have their own value and also the products made from whole foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains and fresh meats hold their own value too.
When you eat whole food you will be eating them in their most nutritious form. They retain their fiber as well as other nutrients that get stripped away when processed.
People are always concerned what kinds of hidden ingredients are there in the food that they are buying. Here is what you need to know about including wholefoods into your diet.
What are Wholefoods?
Wholefoods means the foods that can be consumed in a state that is either totally unprocessed or unrefined or that are minimally processed and refined. These foods are free of added ingredients such as fat, salt and sugar and they provide maximum nutritional value.
Examples of wholefoods include:
- Brown rice rather than white rice
- Whole fruits and vegetables such as baked potato rather than frozen chips or a whole pear rather than canned
- Raw nuts rather than a nut bar
- Lean steak and chicken fillets rather than processed patties, sausages, etc.
- Plain milk rather than pre-packaged milk
Having these fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc.cab be very beneficial for you.
The benefits are:
- They provide various protective substances in abundance. Some of the most common nutrients that you get are: carotene, vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin E and lycopene. Various nutrients and protective substances that you get from these whole foods are good for protecting cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- These foods are rich in vitamins, minerals, god fats and antioxidants.
- They are rich source of essential fiber. Dietary fibers prevent constipation and they are believed to prevent diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- They contain less sugar, salt and fat.
- They are generally free of preservatives, added flavors and colors.
- They help to maintain a healthy weight compared to a diet with processed foods.
- Eating wholefoods is the best way for the body to absorb essential nutrients. They contain a variety of micronutrients your body needs rather than a single nutrient.
What things must you consider before buying whole foods from your local grocery store? Here is your wholefoods shopping guides for a healthy balanced diet.
Identify the processed foods
Most products in the Supermarket undergo some kind of processing, so getting the trick to know if the food is overly processed is a difficult job.
All the fruits and vegetables are washed, graded and packed. Look for foods that are in natural state. If you are not good at that, then choose the wholefoods that include a high percentage of fruits, vegetables, whole grains or lean meat.
Is fresh always good?
Yes, fresh is always good as it contains all the nutrients and antioxidants and they taste amazing.
Always choose the fresh fruits and vegetables that are packed and are picked when they are ripe and fully developed.
Try experimenting with mandarins, lemons, limes, broccoli, cabbage and pumpkins as they are filled with nutrients.
Nutrients degrade with time so don’t leave your fruits and vegetables lying in the fridge for long.
Juices of fruits and vegetables vs eating them whole
When you squeeze the juices off of vegetables and fruits, some of their goodness gets extracted in the pulp, and some of its ingredients get thrown away.
Although it loses some ingredients, freshly squeezed juice is a nice way to include fresh fruits and vegetables in to your diet. Just make sure that you stir some of the pulp into your juice.
Whole grains vs refined grains
Refined grain foods like white bread contain various additives and preservatives. They also act like sugar in the body which increases your triglycerides, a type of blood fat. High level of triglycerides can increase your chance of getting a heart disease.
Thus, stick with whole grain foods which contain the much needed dietary fiber.
A balanced diet that included wholefoods- five or more servings, or fruits and vegetables plus nuts, seeds, whole grain cereals, beans, fish and lean meats- is a good way to provide your body with the nutrients it needs and also a good way to prevent your body from diseases.
Always try to buy fruits, vegetables and grains that are locally produced and are fresh. Instead of processed foods that contain a lot of junks, try getting local and opt for fresh and natural items. For all your dietary products and grocery needs around the area of Oakland, California; Grand Express Supermarket is your ideal store.